Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sun Moon Lake (日月潭) Special - Sun Moon Lake Ropeway [Taiwan Day 797to799: Moon Embracing the Sun Part 4 "Rope, Rope and Away” - Nov. 7, 2015]


If Taipei has the Maokong Gondola then Sun Moon Lake has the 'Sun Moon Lake Ropeway'. It was opened to the riding public in December 28, 2009 and connects the aboriginal town of Ita Thao to the famous Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village. It is 1877 meters long with 86 cabins in red, yellow and blue color and can transport 3000 passengers in 1 hour. Seeing the lake while riding the cable car is a totally different experience and I was so excited to ride this tourism gem of Taiwan. 






There are lockers in the lobby of the Ita Thao station.  Just insert a coin to release the key.
After alighting at Ita Thao stop from the Round-the-Lake Bus, I walked for 800 meters to reach the round-shaped roof of the cable car station. 800 meters then 500 meters... until I found myself walking on a wooden platform standing on top of the lake's shoreline. 






Regular tickets cost NTD 300 for a round-trip ticket which is expensive compared to Taipei's Maokong Gondola which would only cost you NTD 100 for a round-trip ride. My Sun Moon Lake Pass which costs NTD 360 already includes a stub for the round-trip ticket for the cable car so I highly recommend buying this pass to save a lot of money. Should I also say that my cable car ride is already free? The round-trip ferry boat ride I have through my Sun Moon Lake Pass in Taiwan Day 797 already costs NTD 300.


The Sun Moon Lake Ropeway is only composed of two stations. The Ita Thao Station is characterized by its circular roof reminding visitors of the simple life of the Ita Thao people when Sun Moon Lake was still waiting to be discovered. The other station is the Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village (FACV). It's the gateway to the FACV amusement park in which you need to buy a separate ticket if you want to learn about the different aboriginal tribes of Taiwan and have fun in its various rides. 









I didn't enter FACV because it's not yet the right time to see this theme park. When is the best time? It's during the cherry blossom festival. The amusement park has a large number of cherry blossom trees which showers the color of pink in February so there is really no need to be in a hurry to explore FACV.





A souvenir shop can be found at the ground floor of the FACV station and I bought a cable car replica of the Sun Moon Lake Ropeway. It's one of the best souvenir one can buy at Sun Moon Lake and I was so happy to have this toy. It's another addition to my 'Taiwan collections'.






















The maximum number of passengers that a cable car of the Sun Moon Lake Ropeway can carry is 8 persons. Since I'm alone I was with five passengers who spoke of a language that sounds Filipino but the words were not really Filipino. I guessed that they are Indonesians. The cable car ascended and as ours ears were popping we saw Sun Moon Lake below. The sun portion of the lake is visibly seen from above and the one-way trip to FACV only lasted for about 10 minutes. I was alone inside the cable car for the return trip but it gave me the liberty to take photos and document my experience in the Sun Moon Lake Ropeway. 


It was lunch time when I alighted at Ita Thao Station. Guess what? My gastric juices were already starting a rebellion. (To be continued...)

THE COMPLETE SUN MOON LAKE SERIES:
Taiwan Day 797to799: Moon Embracing the Sun Part 1 "Journey to the Lake"
Taiwan Day 797to799: Moon Embracing the Sun Part 2 "The Invisible Line That the Dragon Wrote"
Taiwan Day 797to799: Moon Embracing the Sun Part 3 "Dark Knight" 
Taiwan Day 797to799: Moon Embracing the Sun Part 4 "Rope, Rope and Away"
Taiwan Day 797to799: Moon Embracing the Sun Part 5 "Food from the Thao"
Taiwan Day 797to799: Moon Embracing the Sun Part 6 "Hello Jiji, Goodbye Tripod"
Taiwan Day 797to799: Moon Embracing the Sun Part 7 "Ride your life"
Taiwan Day 797to799: Moon Embracing the Sun Finale "The Master's Sun" 

2017 Sakura Series - Taiwan
2017 Sakura Series - Japan
2016 Sakura Series - Taiwan
Taipei Attractions
New Taipei Attractions
Post a Comment
Copyright © 2014 Travel in Asia | Designed With By Blogger Templates | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates
Scroll To Top