Monday, January 9, 2017

Beitou (北投) ramen house - Delicious Taiwan [Travel in Taiwan 170108: Man Lai Ramen Noodle (滿來溫泉拉麵)]


“Are you from Singapore?” the waitress of Man Lai Ramen Noodle asked me as I looked at the English menu.  “No. I'm from the Philippines”, I politely answered.  Haha! It might be that a lot of Singaporeans who had been to this restaurant were fond of taking photos of the food that they ordered.  Judging from the number of people waiting for a table at Man Lai’s doorstep, this ramen house must be famous. However, there are a number of people who said that the food here wasn’t that great.  I was skeptical of their claims so I went here to taste their delicious ramen and make my eating experience my post first post for 2017 under my “Delicious Taiwan” subprogram.


No trip in Beitou won't be complete without a visit to this restaurant.  The ramen house becomes busy before noontime and it is located a few meters away from the MRT Xinbeitou Station. Many people go here to eat especially during lunch and dinner time so expect a lot of waiting time when you come at these times.


Posted by Travel in Asia on Wednesday, October 11, 2017
It was before 4:00 pm when I arrived at Man Lai. I came from my tour in the Beitou Museum and I was so hungry at that time. There were not many people waiting for an available table so I took advantage of the situation and decided to eat. I was asked to wait for few minutes until I was called to enter and sat beside an empty table. 



The floor area of the restaurant was not that large and it can only accommodate less than 20 customers per one hour of eating time.  It also depends on the order of the customers.  If a family of four each ordered big bowls of ramen plus at least two side dishes then it might take them two hours to finish their meal.  But in spite of the limited number tables, the atmosphere was nostalgic with portraits on the walls making you feel like you were in the 50s.


After deciding on what my order would be, I raised my hand and an English-speaking waitress took notes of my orders.  The ramen was the main reason why I went to the restaurant and there were different kinds to choose from.  I selected the seafood ramen as my main course and for the side dishes, I chose the meat roll, the fried pork chop, and the cold boiled egg.  For my drinks, I ordered a can of Coca-Cola. 






If ordering was fast and easy then so the delivery of the food to my table.  My coke in can arrived first and then followed by the coiled boiled egg.  My ramen was then put on my table and after a few minutes, the meat roll and deep-fried pork chop were handed to me. As a blogger, I took photos of my food and as expected the other customers were looking at me.  Haha!







Among the food, the deep-fried pork chop was my favorite.  It was juicy and a perfect side dish for my miso ramen.   For the overrated noodles of this restaurant, all I can say is that it was ok although not as spectacular like what many had said.  My seafood ramen was composed of clams, large shrimps and some slices of squids.   One good thing about the ramen was its serving size.  It was too big and I was the one who surrendered in eating my meal.  The meat roll had a weird taste to me. It was sweet but there was something about it that I prefer to eat the deep-fried pork chop. The cold boiled egg? It was actually a soft-boiled egg.  Unfortunately, my stomach was already full that I couldn't enjoy it anymore.

Overall, I would give Man Lai Ramen Noodle a passing score in my Travel in Asia blog.  The deep-fried pork chop was the restaurant's saving grace.  There were still other side dishes and other kinds of ramen to eat at this restaurant.  Maybe I should also try those.   But compared to my food trip in Raohe Night Market which costed me more than NTD 400, my entire order here in Man Lai Ramen amounted only to NTD 390.   I ate a lot and but I did not expect the servings to be too much for me making my stomach so full for the first time in 2017! lol


My rating: 3 out of 5 “luomujie” stars
My order: 
seafood ramen in pork chop miso: NTD 210
fried pork chop: NTD 60
deep-fried meat roll: NTD 60
cold boiled Japanese style egg: NTD 30
coke in a can: NTD 30
Total: NTD 390





*********************************
Man Lai Ramen Noodle (滿來溫泉拉麵)
Address: No. 1-8, Zhongshan Rd, Beitou District, Taipei City, 112
How to get here: Board the MRT to Xinbeitou Station and walk along Zhongshan Road towards the Beitou Hot Spring Museum.   The restaurant is located before reaching the Beitou Hot Springs Resort and the Ketagalan Culture Center. 

2017 Sakura Series - Taiwan
2017 Sakura Series - Japan
2016 Sakura Series - Taiwan
Taipei Attractions
New Taipei Attractions
Post a Comment
Copyright © 2014 Travel in Asia | Designed With By Blogger Templates | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates
Scroll To Top